Last Updated: January 31, 2013
Dognition LLC, an Arkansas limited liability company (the “Company”, “we”, “us” or “our”), maintains this website (the “Website”), among other reasons, to provide tools, information and education that aim to enrich the lives of dogs and their owners by enabling dog owners to better understand their dog through science-based games that measure and report on the dog's unique cognitive style, and that contribute to the knowledge of canine science by compiling and aggregating the data collected in this process so that researchers are able to identify trends and increase the understanding of general dog behavior and attributes (collectively, the “Service”).
The Company controls, owns, and manages the information collected on the Website and by and through the Service and may use the information for the purposes set forth herein.
IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THE AGREEMENTS, OR ARE NOT CAPABLE OF FORMING A LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACT WITH THE COMPANY, YOU MAY NOT USE EITHER THIS WEBSITE OR THE SERVICE, AND YOU MUST IMMEDIATELY CEASE ALL USE OF BOTH THE WEBSITE AND THE SERVICE. YOU ARE ENCOURAGED TO PRINT AND TO READ THESE AGREEMENTS CAREFULLY AND TO CONTACT US WITH ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU MAY HAVE BEFORE COMMENCING YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE OR THE SERVICE.
The information we collect.
In this section we provide you with details about some of the information we currently collect about Users of our Website and of our Service (collectively, “User Information”).
• Canine Data. We may collect information about your dog(s) including its name, weight, breed, AKC Registration, gender, or age, and whether the dog is spayed or neutered and if the dog has had DNA testing. We may also collect certain cognitive information obtained from the completion by the dog of various science-based games (collectively, the “Canine Data”).
• Aggregated User Data. In an ongoing effort to better understand and serve the Users of the Website and the Services, we may conduct research on demographics, interests, behavior and other topics based on the User Content, Canine Data, Usage Data and other User Information of our Users, including you, that is provided to, collected by or otherwise available to us. In this process we take User Information from you and other users and reformat, supplement, compile, analyze and/or aggregate these datasets together to create what we term "Aggregated User Data." We may use this Aggregated User Data and/or may share certain of this Aggregated User Data with our affiliates, agents and business partners as described below. Aggregated User Data is not intended to identify any user, including you, personally, although re-identification of individuals from aggregate datasets may be possible in certain circumstances, including in the event of a data breach.
• Usage Data. We may collect all or some portion of the Website and/or Service usage data described below, or any other similar usage or activity data or information, directly or indirectly through your use of the Website, the Service, our partners’ websites and/or services and/or other lawful technological means reasonably available to us (collectively, “Usage Data”).
o Usage and Navigation of the Website and Service. All or any of the activities and actions you undertake in connection with your use and navigation of the Website and/or Service, including your interactions and/or connections with Canine Data and any other content (including User Content and Our Content ) contained therein.
o User Content. In the event that you provide to us any User Content in connection with your use of the Website or the Service, we may use such User Content for any purpose permitted of us pursuant to the Terms. In addition, we may endeavor to collect or compile certain information about your User Content, including any description, tags or other information provided to us by you with respect to such User Content or added by us to such User Content to help us better categorize and manage such User Content in connection with the Service.
o Clear Gifs. We may also employ a software technology called “clear gifs” (also known as “web beacons” or “web bugs”) that helps us better manage content on the Website by providing us feedback as to what content is effective. Clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to track the online movements of Users. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your web enabled device’s hard drive, clear gifs are embedded invisibly on a website page, web-based document or email message and are about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. Clear gifs may be used, for example, in our HTML-based emails to confirm receipt of, and response to, our emails, including those that you forward to other recipients. This allows us to gauge the effectiveness of certain communications and the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns. If you would like to opt-out of these emails, please see the “Opt-out” section below.
o Site Information. Due to communications standards on the internet, when you visit the Website we typically automatically receive the URL of the site from which you came and the site to which you are going when you leave our Website. We also receive the internet protocol address of your computer (or the proxy server you use to access the Internet), your computer operating system and type of web browser you are using, email patterns, your mobile device and mobile operating system, as well as the name of your ISP or your mobile carrier. We may also receive location data passed to us from third-party services or GPS-enabled devices that you have enabled.
o Site Analytics. We may analyze your use of the Website and/or Service with third party software that allows us to monitor and record your navigation and usage activities, in order to better customize and improve our Website, Service and other products.
o Navigational Information. We may collect and use both personally identifiable and non-personally identifiable information and data from you when you are using the Service and/or Website through the standard operation of our Internet servers. Such information collected from you may include user Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, browser type and version, domain names, referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, click stream data and anonymous statistical data regarding your use of the Service and/or Website. We use this information to analyze trends, to administer and to improve the Service and Website, to track users’ movements around the Website and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may associate any or all of this Navigational Information with your Usage Data as described in the following section.
How we use the information we collect
Our use of your User Information may include, but is not limited to, the following:
• To manage and improve our website and service. We use certain User Information to provide, evaluate and improve the Website, the Service and other services and features provided by us, as well as to provide you with customer and technical support. For example, and without limitation, we may (a) aggregate Canine Data to analyze trends about general dog behavior and attributes from which we may draw conclusions and make suggestions on your dog’s unique cognitive style; (b) share your User Information, including your Canine Data, only at your specific request, with third parties; and/or (c) use, analyze, modify and/or reformat your User Information and the User Information of other Users, including Usage Data, in order to improve the Service and to develop (including through the creation and/or filing of patents, copyrights, trade secrets or other forms of intellectual property) technology to be used in the Service, the Website and/or other related services.
• Scientific Research. We may use certain User Information, including Canine Data, to aggregate and analyze trends and make conclusions about general dog behavior and attributes. We will not release data on any individual dog, unless specifically authorized by the dog’s registered owner. However, one of the purposes of the Service is to further scientific advances in the field of canine research and we may use, share, publish or disclose your User Information in connection with scientific research, studies, publications, and for other similar purposes (collectively, “Scientific Research”). To the extent that any Scientific Research results in the development of any intellectual property rights, including, without limitation, any and all inventions, trade secrets, confidential and proprietary information, software programs, discoveries, conceptions, preparations and developments, whether or not eligible for or covered by patent, copyright or trade secret protection (collectively, “Inventions”), you acknowledge and agree that we are the sole owners of all right, title and interest in any such Inventions.
• To contact you. We may contact you with Service-related or other announcements from time to time. You may opt out of all communications except essential updates as described in the “Opt-out” section below. We may include content you see on the Website in the emails we send to you and to other Users.
• Advertisements. We may occasionally pair advertisements or other product or commercial offerings we serve with relevant User Information to make such advertisements, products or other offerings more interesting and more tailored to you. We may also ask third party advertisers to create and/or display advertisements promoting our services. We may ask these advertisers to deliver those advertisements to you or to other Users based upon the presence of a cookie or other information, and we may share or use certain User Information, with such third parties for use in creating, distributing and displaying such advertisements. We do not share customer lists or personally identified information, but we may share other User Information, including Aggregated User Data. For instance, we may disclose information regarding the general demographics of our Users.
• Association of navigational information with personally identifiable information. We may associate your online navigational information, transactional information gathered by cookies and clear gifs and/or other User Information we obtain to your personally identifiable information, including your Usage Data. We associate this information in order to deliver services and products to you, to improve our business and to market our products and services to other Users and to third parties through email, mobile advertising, direct mail and/or other media. The association of any User Information, including navigational information, cookies, clear gifs and personally identifiable information, with your Usage Data is intended to produce a more personalized experience on the Website that is tailored to your interests.
• Joint Services. We may develop, improve and/or provide our Service, certain portions or features of our Service or entirely new services or features jointly in collaboration with other parties. In doing so, we may share Aggregated User Data with these third parties to assist them and us in developing, improving, marketing and/or selling such services. We may also combine information we have collected about you with information we receive from third parties.*
• Promotional Partners. We may from time to time use User Information to provide promotional communications that we think may be of interest to our Users, including email or other communications from us or from one of our partners to notify our Users of special offers and products and services, as well as advertising from us or third parties. It is also possible that we may rent, sell or otherwise transfer Aggregated User Data and product preference information to third parties who we think may offer services and products of interest to our Users. At any time, you can contact our privacy team at the email address set forth above to request that we not share these promotional communications with you. *
• Legal Compliance. We may disclose all or any portion of your User Information if we believe that it is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation or legal request; to protect the safety of any person; to address fraud, security or technical issues; or to protect the Company’s rights or property. We may also use User Information to enforce the Terms. We also use a variety of technological systems, many of which rely on the use of User Information, to detect and address anomalous activity.
• Business Transfers. We may also disclose and/or transfer your User Information, including any personally identifiable information and/or your Usage Data, to third parties in connection with a corporate transaction, such as a merger, acquisition by another company or sale or other transfer of all or a portion of our business or assets (which may include User Information).
• Non-Private or Non-Personal Information. We may share, publish or disclose your User Information that we reasonably believe constitutes non-private, aggregated or otherwise non-personal information, such as your Website or Service usage information or your non-personally identifiable Usage Data, including by combining such information with similar information provided by other Users or from other sources for a variety of purposes, including to develop and publicize performance information about our Service and/or Website, to create aggregated usage or other profiles on the basis of zip code, demographics or other applicable metric and for other similar purposes.*
Links and Advertising
You should also be aware that if you voluntarily disclose personally identifiable information in an email or other communications with any third party identified or listed on the Website and/or Service or in other materials, that information, along with any other information disclosed in your communication, can be collected and correlated and used by such third parties and may result in your receiving unsolicited messages from other persons and/or other unanticipated uses. Such collection, correlation and use are beyond our control.
• Steps we take to keep your information secure. The security of your User Information, particularly your personally identifiable information, is important to us. We have put in place commercially reasonable physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to adequately safeguard and secure the information we collect on the Website and through the Service from unauthorized access.
• Risks inherent in sharing information. Notwithstanding our commitment to protect your information, you should be aware that there is always some risk involved in transmitting information over the Internet. Additionally, there also is some risk our or your network and/or security systems could be circumvented or breached, including by third parties who use our Website or Service in order to do so. As a result, while we strive to use commercially reasonable means to protect your personally identifiable information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security and privacy of any of your User Information or of your or our network and/or security systems, and your transmittal of any information to us and your use of the Website and/or Service is solely at your own risk. If you have any questions regarding the security of the Website or the Service you are encouraged to contact our privacy team at the email address set forth above.
• Protecting your own personal information. In addition to the steps that we take to protect your personal information, you are encouraged to take reasonable steps to protect your own information, including safeguarding your username, password and your other Account Information. You should not share this information with third parties and, if you believe that any of your Account Information has been compromised, you should notify us immediately and/or change your Account Information as directed through the Website.
How You Can Change or Remove Information
• Editing your information. You are responsible for ensuring the accuracy of your Account Information at all times. Failing to update your Account Information, including your contact information, may impair your ability to use the Website and/or Service. If you wish to correct any Account Information you have provided to us, you may do so through the Website.
• Deleting your User Content. If you delete your User account, you acknowledge and agree that certain content or information, including Our Content, will not be deleted, and that we may retain some or all of your User Content in our discretion consistent with the Terms, or to comply with our standard policies and procedures, including with respect to backing up data.
The Website and the Service are for general audiences and neither is directed toward those under 18 years of age. Please see the Terms for more information about underage users.
Please remember that your use of the Website and the Service is also governed by our Terms and Conditions, which are available here.